Spam

Please post your questions and comments here as they relate to the purpose or process or adminstration of this discussion board.
wackzingo

Spam

Post by wackzingo »

Jim, I'm not sure, I'll look into it if I have time, but you may want to see if there is a module or plug-in for phpbb that will make people type in those random letters and numbers from a picture before they can post. That stops all automated spam bots and try disabling links so that posting links into the discussion board won't allow people to just click on them. Those two things will stop most spam.
jimbaum
Site Admin

Post by jimbaum »

Zach, thanks for wanting to help! I do use the feature that requires typing in the image of letters. That has helped.

I don't understand what you mean about disabling links. Please exlain. Thank you, my brother!

Jim
wackzingo

Post by wackzingo »

When you post an address like http://www.procinwarn.com it automatically makes it a clickable link which is what spammers like. They get paid by people clicking on links. I'm not sure, I tried to find out how to turn this off but couldn't. As for the picture thing, it is only required when opening an account, if there is a way or a plug-in you can add it would make it required for all guest posts, that would stop automatic spam bots.

zach
jimbaum
Site Admin

Post by jimbaum »

Gracias!
wackzingo

Post by wackzingo »

Jim, I just tested this mod that puts a visual confirmation that must be entered correctly or guests cannot post. This is the same visual confirmation that is required when registering but only affects guest posting. Check out my discussion board to see how it works, try posting a new topic without registering or logging in. This will stop automatic spambots.

http://www.athleo.net/discussion/postin ... wtopic&f=3
jimbaum
Site Admin

Post by jimbaum »

Thanks, Zach. I installed the visual confirmation for guest posts also!

Jim B.