Please post your questions and comments here as they relate to the purpose or process or adminstration of this discussion board.
jimbaum
Site Admin

Post by jimbaum »

It took me awhile to figure out on other php discussion boards what an "Avatar" was. I knew what the word meant in general: a god (in general), or a Hindu god (in particular) or specifically Vishnu.

See the following definitions:
http://www.answers.com/avatar&r=67

As used in php boards it is a representation of yourself in photo form and somtimes on some boards also represents your status of eliteness are seniority or degree of importance on that discussion board.

I don't like the word "avatar" being used for anything I want to deal with.

But then again, I don't like the word, "icon", either but have been forced to used it in regard to computer desktops!

Right now I don't intend to invoke the avatar features of this php board... unless I can invoke it without seeing the word "avatar" and as long as it serves some useful purpose!

Let me know what you think!

Jim B.
livingntruth

Re:

Post by livingntruth »

Hi Jim!

I know what you mean! :) I cringe everytime I have to install software on Windows because a little "wizard" has to perform the installation.
Looking forward to being a part of this discussion board...

Christina Miranti
Columbus, Ohio
jimbaum
Site Admin

Re:

Post by jimbaum »

livingntruth wrote:Hi Jim!

I know what you mean! :) I cringe everytime I have to install software on Windows because a little "wizard" has to perform the installation.
Looking forward to being a part of this discussion board...

Christina Miranti
Columbus, Ohio
Exactly! "Wizards" That's another one. It's like we're expected to be more and more accustomed to the language of the occult... like it's no big thing.

I think of Joseph in Egypt and Daniel in Babylon or the Lord's Apostles and disciples in the Roman Empire... It's not easy being in the world but not of the world.

Welcome, by the way, Christina! May the Lord bring fruit from the discussions that go on here. Jim B.
Jasmine

Post by Jasmine »

:lol: I thought I was the only one who was set back by the ' installation wizard ' !

Avatars don't seem to be for any real purpose and can cause problems .

I was on a prayer forum one night when it came under attack . New users came on line to hassle , they had obscene pictures on their avatars that upset quite a few who saw them . Other avatars promote the occult and the user doesn't always even know what is wrong when someone asks them why they chose it .

But than ocacsionaly theres a cute one .
shawncuthill.com

Post by shawncuthill.com »

Jasmine wrote::lol: I thought I was the only one who was set back by the ' installation wizard ' !

Avatars don't seem to be for any real purpose and can cause problems .

I was on a prayer forum one night when it came under attack . New users came on line to hassle , they had obscene pictures on their avatars that upset quite a few who saw them . Other avatars promote the occult and the user doesn't always even know what is wrong when someone asks them why they chose it .

But than ocacsionaly theres a cute one .
Hi everyone, just thought I'd mention my experience with avatars (look we've each said it in our posts :) ) Ya, as you said I don't think it's fair to characterize all avatars as bad. Jim you rightly state that we use things with double-meanings all the time like icons. On our forum (same software as this one) we have only had one incident where users posted bad avatars. We spoke to the user (we have over 300) and he removed it.

Jim if the use of the word "avatar" is the only issue I wonder if there's a way to change the word "avatar" in the software? If so, what would be an appropriate name to change it to?
jimbaum
Site Admin

Alternatives?

Post by jimbaum »

Shawn wrote:
Jim if the use of the word "avatar" is the only issue I wonder if there's a way to change the word "avatar" in the software? If so, what would be an appropriate name to change it to?
Very good question. If there was a way to replace the word, "avatar" I would. But, this is just one example of a symptom. The fact that the society is bent on rebellion against God and takes lightly things of the occult is more the issue.

I would like to help fellow believers at least be aware of how the world system is trying to brainwash them. How they deal then with being in the World but not of the World is more of a disputable matter between them and the Lord, applying the principles of scripture.

Instead of "avatar" we could say, "funny photo representation of yourself".

Thanks for participating, brother Shawn! Write any time. Jim B.