A Closer Look - INNOCENCE (Post 1 of 7) 6/30/2008

Discuss with this brother issues relating to Dispensationalism, Pre-Millenialism, &
Pre-Trib Rapture - Agree or Disagree... in love!

Moderator: Mike_White's Group

Mike_White

A Closer Look - INNOCENCE (Post 1 of 7) 6/30/2008

Post by Mike_White »

In a previous post I quoted the Scofield Study Bible below in identifying a common dispensational framework. See Below...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C.I. Scofield notes 7 dispensations as follows.

1.) The dispensation of innocence (Genesis 1:28), From Adams’s creation up to his fall.
2.) The dispensation of conscience or moral responsibility (Genesis 3:7). From the Fall to the end of the Flood
3.) The dispensation of human government (Genesis 8:15) From the end of the Flood to the call of Abraham
4.) The dispensation of promise. (Genesis 12:1) From the call of Abraham to the giving of the law.
5.) The dispensation of the law (Exodus 19:1) From the giving of the law to the day of Pentecost.
6.) The dispensation of Grace (church) (Acts 2:1) From the Day of Pentecost to the Rapture.
7.) The dispensation of the Kingdom (Revelation 20:4). The thousand year reign of Christ
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this post i would like to deviate from this a bit and lay out different dispensational changes i have personally enjoyed in scripture. For this I will use the following format.

1.) Innocence
2.) Conscience
3.) Human Government
4a.) Promise (Before the Nation of Israel was formed)
4b.) Law ( After the Nation of Israel was formed)
5.) Grace
6.) Tribulation
7a.) Millennial Reign
7b.) Eternal State (Reign of Christ continues into eternity with New heaven and New Earth)

So with that being said lets lay this out with more detail and then make some comments on it...

1.) Innocence
- Opening Event - Genesis 1:27, Genesis 2:7 - Man created in innocence by God.

- Duration - Unknown (We don’t know how long Adam was in the Garden before the fall)

- Man’s Failure - Genesis 3:7 - Innocence Lost. Adam by choice (Not by deceit1 Timothy 2:14 )eats the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. The result is loss of innocence (Awareness of Sin) and separation from God for all mankind. Just like Goliath was a representative of the Philistine peoples in David’s Day so Adam was our representative... Remember what Goliaths taunt was in 1 Samuel 17 to the Israelite people. "8bChoose a man and have him come down to me. 9 if he is able to fight and kill me, we will become your subjects; but if I overcome him and kill him, you will become our subjects and serve us." Adam failed and as a result mankind has been a slave to sin John 8:34 ever since until our champion Jesus Christ came and conquered sin and death Hebrews 2:14-15 on the cross in order to set the captives free from sin Ephesians 4:8. So in the age of innocence Adam failed and only the cross brought a way to be reconciled to God. And Adam as our representative not only failed for him self but the entire human race Romans 5:12 and all creation Romans 8:19-22.

- Trend of the Dispensation - Genesis 3:9-10 - Not only did awareness of sin come in but also fear.

- Mans Individual Responsibility - Genesis 2:8,9, Genesis2:15-17 - To heed the calling of God. Here after the fall the all knowing God calls to Adam "Where are you" and makes him accountable for his Sin. This fall is like one who by choice (Remember Adam was not deceived) 1 Timothy 2:14 jumps off a great sky scraper and half way down the sky scraper realizes the end result of the decision (death on the concrete below). The decision is unchangeable and the destiny (death on the concrete in this analogy) is certain. Yet Adam is responsible for his sin of disobedience no different than you or I.outside of a saviour or champion; Jesus Christ Neither Adam, nor the human Race, he has plunged into Sin, has any hope. However The Cross changes Adams and all who believes destiny.

- Closing Event - Genesis 3:17,19, Genesis 3:23,24 - The closing event in this dispensation is that God curses the ground (Creation) and Pain and Death come into the world. Not only that but now Adam is expelled from the Garden to face the curse (tilling a cursed ground) and his return path is blocked by judgment of two guardian Angels. but a promise is given to him as a reminder Genesis 15b "He (Jesus) will crush your (Satan) head" and Adam recognized this promise "Adam named his wife Eve, because she would become the mother of all the living" Eve's offspring died physically but her eventual offspring Jesus Christ died to rise again that all that put their hope in him would be a son of God Romans 8:19 and part of "all the living" .