The seven dispensations defined by CI Scofield

Discuss with this brother issues relating to Dispensationalism, Pre-Millenialism, &
Pre-Trib Rapture - Agree or Disagree... in love!

Moderator: Mike_White's Group

Mike_White

The seven dispensations defined by CI Scofield

Post by Mike_White »

The Seven Dispensations…

C.I. Scofield notes 7 dispensations as follows.

1.) The dispensation of innocence (Genesis 1:28), From Adams’s creation up to his fall.
2.) The dispensation of conscience or moral responsibility (Genesis 3:7). From the Fall to the end of the Flood
3.) The dispensation of human government (Genesis 8:15) From the end of the Flood to the call of Abraham
4.) The dispensation of promise. (Genesis 12:1) From the call of Abraham to the giving of the law.
5.) The dispensation of the law (Exodus 19:1) From the giving of the law to the day of Pentecost.
6.) The dispensation of Grace (church) (Acts 2:1) From the Day of Pentecost to the Rapture.
7.) The dispensation of the Kingdom (Revelation 20:4). The thousand year reign of Christ 1

Now as stated last time it’s not important to agree on all the details surrounding the 7 dispensations some Christians don’t see 7 but they see less. Some even classify the eternal state as another dispensation making 8… But it is helpful to recognize the major one between Law and Grace.

In the next posts I would like to take up each of these 7, notwithstanding the controversy surrounding them and talk about each one showing how each testing time or administration or dispensation was designed to show man his need of a savior Jesus Christ. Gods program in dealing with mankind through different administrations was all toward one goal and that is the main goal of scripture which was to reveal mans need of Jesus.

A few things that are unique to a dispensational understanding of the scripture that make it unique to any other view out there. A dispensational view predetermines the following views doctrinally whereas other systematic theologies allow a range of movement within these views. I could say that in this sense Dispensationalism is exclusive!!! Which is not politically correct but it’s biblically correct, as some have said The Bible is not something we pick and choose but rather something we make observation about acknowledging that it is already revealed truth. A dispensationalist acknowledges that this is simply an observation about scripture and that the truth is revealed in its entirety and was written down and meant to be understood cover to cover.

1.) All dispensationalists are pre-millennial (there is no other option for the dispensationalist)
2.) All dispensationalists believe in a literal interpretation of scripture. (this hermeneutic is demanded by this view)
3.) All dispensationalists believe in a literal millennial reign of Christ (no other option for the dispensationalist)
4.) All dispensationalists are pre-tribulational
5.) All dispensationalists see a pre-trib rapture. (same as above stated differently)
6.) All dispensationalists see the Church in the present day of grace as a separate entity from national Israel.
7.) All dispensationalists believe in a literal restoration of a remnant of Israel in a future time and literal fulfillment of the promises made to her.

Now as a matter of clarification I should say that the ultimate outworking of a dispensational understanding of the Bible leads to the above Biblically. But some may not have worked out the dispensational facts to conclusion in their own theology and therefore may not hold all the above views but the natural conclusion they will eventually be forced to come to will be the above views which makes dispensationalism different or distinct from covenant theology for example.

One last comment is that when I make the statement “The Day of Grace” I’m referring to the time period when mankind is being tested under grace. I’m not inferring that God was not gracious in other dispensations in fact the opposite is true.

1 CI Scofield My Bible , pp 33,34
(Essay) The New Scofield Study Bible, New King James Version, p.4
jimbaum
Site Admin

Post by jimbaum »

Hello all,

I have split the posts dealing with The Rapture & The Tribulation into its own topic.

Jim B.