Dispensationalism Defined

Discuss with this brother issues relating to Dispensationalism, Pre-Millenialism, &
Pre-Trib Rapture - Agree or Disagree... in love!

Moderator: Mike_White's Group

Mike_White

Dispensationalism Defined

Post by Mike_White »

Well as Jim said my name is Michael White and I am honored to lead a discussion in the scriptures on the topic of Dispensationalism. A few items before we begin… I will endeavor to post once a week on Tuesdays. Depending on the popularity that frequency may not be necessary so we’ll adjust that appropriately. On the same token if the discussion becomes terribly popular I may not be able to respond to everyone when I post. For the first few posts I may post several times to get the discussion going. With that in mind I’ll do my best to answer the questions but my main focus will be to simply stick to the topic and discuss what I see from studying my Bible. I hope to be able to explain dispensational ideas clearly so that at a minimum people can walk away understanding it more clearly. Any belief I hold on the scriptures I do hold openly so I’m not afraid to change it when the scriptures and the Spirit guide that change.

With that being said lets get right to topic. First off it is necessary to define what a dispensation is. Hebrews 1:1,2 tells us that “(Hebrews 1:1,2) 1In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the (Greek)- aiôn – 1.)for ever, an unbroken age, perpetuity of time, eternity 2) the worlds, universe 3) period of time, age)1 universe.” The revised Version translates this “… by whom also he made the ages”2 The idea is that Jesus made the universe, which includes time because God exists outside of time unlike us. And God has divided that time into ages. Augustine said, “Distinguish the ages and the Scriptures harmonize.” William McDonald notes “The ages” in scripture or dispensations or administrations “may be long or short. What distinguishes them is not their length but the way God deals with mankind in them.” “While God himself never changes his methods do”3 So the way God works with mankind at any particular time is what we call a dispensation. It is important to note that we are not referring to a length of time when we refer to a dispensation but rather the administration during that time. For example the history of the United States is divided into dispensations.4 Every 4 years there is an office up for election where there is a change potentially of the head of our state. When we discuss these different offices we talk about the Bush administration or the Clinton administration. We are not referring to a specific time in history but to the policies that person had while in office. Because any particular administration occurred over a specific period if time we have a hard time separating administrations of the US government from time. So we recognize in our minds that when we talk about the Bush administration we may be referring specifically to the policies and procedures that took place over a set # of years of time. Likewise when we talk about Bible Dispensations we will be talking about God’s methods in dealing with man for his need of a savior at different times. As we get further into this discussion I will show examples of the different administrations or dispensations I see in scripture. For this week I would like to stick to this definition to open the discussion.

One last comment I will make is that Gods plan of salvation has never changed just like his character does not. But at different times in Scripture God has used different methods to reveal that need in man for a savior. So when we talk about dispensationalism we are not talking about God changing his ways in regards to salvation that has always been by faith on mans part and the election on Gods part.(Romans 9:7-11) we are talking about God using different methods to show us that we have a need of a savior no matter what the era or dispensation, or circumstances humanly speaking are. And we will talk more about this. As the discussion progresses.

Until next week or Post then…
God Bless,
Michael

1.) (Heb 1:2RV, marg.)
2.) William MacDonald, The Beleivers Bible Commentary (Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers), 105
3.) Ibid.
4.) Ibid.
Judah9

Post by Judah9 »

hi mike, just making sure you haven't forgotten us :)

waiting to see what else you have on this issue.
jimbaum
Site Admin

Post by jimbaum »

Welcome, Judah9

I look forward to our discussions with Michael and I appreciate your participation.

It is such a blessing to discuss the word of God with the brethren and after 31 years of being a Christian it's exciting to me how much I'm learning about Genesis to Revelation. Michael's presentations and the ensuing discussions are going to be a tool to learn the Bible and provoke us to search the scriptures.

Jim B.
Judah9

Post by Judah9 »

Welcome, Judah9

-thank you jim

I look forward to our discussions with Michael and I appreciate your participation.

-i look forward also. mike is good with words and i am trying to follow him, i'm the simple type :wink:

It is such a blessing to discuss the word of God with the brethren and after 31 years of being a Christian it's exciting to me how much I'm learning about Genesis to Revelation.

that my friend is an understatement for me. i have found more in the word than what they told me was there. and i do look forward to seeing more.

Michael's presentations and the ensuing discussions are going to be a tool to learn the Bible and provoke us to search the scriptures.

that is not bad at all :D