The Mahdi in Islamic Eschatology

Our Lord Jesus calls us to love Muslims and yet Islam is yet another religious system that ought to be compared with the Bible to see whether it is true or false.
David

Post by David »

The sign of the times most muslims, sunni and shi'a alike, are waiting for is the coming of their mahdi (also thought to ride a white horse). Who according to their beliefs will rule the world for seven years then come against Jerusalem to rid it of the 'Zionists'. The mahdi will come after great turmoil one of the things this fella Ahmadinejad has been trying to stir up.
jimbaum
Site Admin

Post by jimbaum »

David,

Do you know where in the Koran the Mahdi is discussed? Or are these expectations from some other writings?

Jim
David

Post by David »

I don't think you'll get a clear picture from just the Quran. Most of the 'prophecy' comes from a hadith or hadeeth from what I gather a hadeeth is from someone who adds to what is written or gives more than what the quran does.

Look in the hadeeth section :wink: http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/

Book 36, Number 4272:
Narrated AbuSa'id al-Khudri:

The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: The Mahdi will be of my stock, and will have a broad forehead a prominent nose. He will fill the earth will equity and justice as it was filled with oppression and tyranny, and he will rule for seven years.

Book 36, Number 4273:
Narrated Umm Salamah, Ummul Mu'minin:

The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: Disagreement will occur at the death of a caliph and a man of the people of Medina will come flying forth to Mecca. Some of the people of Mecca will come to him, bring him out against his will and swear allegiance to him between the Corner and the Maqam. An expeditionary force will then be sent against him from Syria but will be swallowed up in the desert between Mecca and Medina. When the people see that, the eminent saints of Syria and the best people of Iraq will come to him and swear allegiance to him between the Corner and the Maqam.

Then there will arise a man of Quraysh whose maternal uncles belong to Kalb and send against them an expeditionary force which will be overcome by them, and that is the expedition of Kalb. Disappointed will be the one who does not receive the booty of Kalb. He will divide the property, and will govern the people by the Sunnah of their Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) and establish Islam on Earth. He will remain seven years, then die, and the Muslims will pray over him.

I'm still looking for the reference of the Madhi coming against and establishing himself in Jerusalem (Baitul Maqdas)

Understand I do this out of curiosity and nothing more ever since I began hearing on the news about what Ahmadinejad was squaking about.
jimbaum
Site Admin

Post by jimbaum »

The following looks like a good overview of the Mahdi in Islamic eschatology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahdi
David

Post by David »

jimbaum
Site Admin

Sadr followers crying out for the Mahdi

Post by jimbaum »

Here's an MSNBC article about an Iraqi leader who's followers cry, "Hasten the coming of the Mahdi!"

‘Shiite giant’ extends its reach
Sadr’s armed movement becomes pivotal force in fractured Iraq

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14489705/