Wittenburg Door & Youth Specialties

How are professing Evangelical Christians being deceived?
jimbaum
Site Admin

Post by jimbaum »

Zach,

When I first became a Christian I subscribed to the magazine, "Wittenburg Door". I loved it at the time. Eventually I came to see them as leaning to the left of Evangelicalism, which by itself, is not a major problem with me. I am willing to take part in discussions with the so-called right and left within Evangelicalism. I consider myself neither right or left.

According to John I. Carney who says he is a contributing editor for the Wittenburg Door:
The Door has a long and storied history. It was originally founded by Youth Specialties, a California-based publisher of youth group materials.
It's not clear to me what current relationship there is but some important information can be found on the Lighthouse Trails website: http://www.lighthousetrailsresearch.com ... alties.htm about Youth Specialties promoting "contemplative spirituality".

Let's check it out and discuss The Door, Youth Specialities, etc.

Jim B.
jimbaum
Site Admin

Post by jimbaum »

This topic is for the examination as Bereans of the online magazine, "The Wittenburg Door" and for the organization called, "Youth Specialties". Jim B.

This topic was moved from This topic was moved from "Why God still calls Israel, Jacob ?"
wackzingo

Post by wackzingo »

Maybe I can shed some light on the history of the wittenburgdoor and its like to youthspecialties.

I have been a long time reader of both and a big fan of Mike Yaconelli. When Mike was just starting out in youth ministry he was a volunteer for Youth For Christ and he noticed that when it came to ministry resources for youth workers there were none. So he and a friend started by putting together a book of games called "Play it again". They took these books to ministry conferences and sold them for $5. Anyways they went on to become Youth Specialties. Mike knew two youth workers were publishing a religious humor magazine called "The Door" and later renamed it to "The wittenburg door" (a misspelling but they decided to keep it anyways). They bought the rights to the magazine for $60. Youth Specialties.

As for their connection now, its two separate ministries that only have the connection of previous owner/new owner. Youthspecialties does not run or have any control over what happens to the magazine. The trinity foundation is the publisher and they make decisions on what is put in the magazine. I know what you mean about youthspecialties. I know they started out right, they have a good statement of belief but like many mainstream evangelical christian church/organization they are slowing leaning toward different aspects of the culture that draw them away from the truth.

I attended the Youth Specialties Convention in Sacramento in 2001 and there were many good teachers there but they also promoted a thing where there are stations of the cross where you moved to these different stations and contemplate different parts of the life of Christ and his death. I'm not sure exactly what they teach and there are some things I'm concerned about when it comes to what they support.

As for the trinity foundation I really respect what Ole Anthony teaches and how he really practices what he teaches. I haven't leaned everything about them but from what I have seen, I haven't found anything to be or a major concern.

If I think of anything else I'll post it.

Zach
jimbaum
Site Admin

Post by jimbaum »

Very good, Zach. I appreciate your insight and input on this discussion. I will continue to evaluate these things. Perhaps http://www.lighthousetrailsresearch.com/ has more information on the individuals and organizations and their connections. Jim B.