How We Gather Together - Church Government

What does the Bible teach as to how we are to be the Body of Christ together? How shall a Biblical assembly be led? How should each of us take part? How shall we be disciples of Jesus together?
kevin morris

Post by kevin morris »

Hey Zach and Jim:
I thought I would jump in and ask for your ideas on church government since the subject has come up. I have a friend at work who is a seminary student who I had been keeping a certain distance from. I found out today that he as well as a group of others share much of the same grief with church government as I do and they meet together once a week. It is a "life group" of a particular church in town but it seems that they are not controlled by the leadership. I will go check it out next week.
I am curious as to what you guys do for fellowship and the "gathering together" with other believers. Please if you could, be specific. I know acts 2:42, I just want to see how that works out for you guys.

Thanks and God bless you.

Kevin
wackzingo

Post by wackzingo »

Kevin,

Personally, I don't have a problem with churches that are run by a single pastor as long as the pastor doesn't abuse his authority or control thing too much. I don't have a problem so much with the church being run like a business as long as ministry isn't affected. I mean, the apostles chose some to distribute food so they could remain faithful to prayer and preaching the word. There are things that need to be done for the operations of the church but I have a problem when they carry this over into the ministry. For example when why start looking at educational requirements for qualification rather than the example given to us in scripture.

I love CBF the fellowship where Jim and his family attend, as do a few others I know. Jim's son and several friends of theirs work with me. I like the people and teaching. My problem is that it's so far to drive when I'm tired from working late Saturday night so I only attend there 1-2 times a month and other times I go back to visit the church I left for the above mentioned reasons. If CBF was about 15 min. closer I would be going every week. I don't attend any home fellowships or bible studies.

Zach
jimbaum
Site Admin

Split from Confronting Christians

Post by jimbaum »

Hi, I split this into a new topic.

Jim
jimbaum
Site Admin

How the Baumgaertels Fellowship

Post by jimbaum »

When we left Calvary Chapels in about 1998, we spent the next five years visiting various house church-type fellowships.

I was hoping that we could become a part of a mature Biblical house church; either by the home fellowship that met in our home developing in that direction or by finding one close enough. It was a very important time for us, I believe. But the right house church situation did not develop.

About 3 years ago I decided that my family would become part of Community Bible Fellowship. We meet in a rented building and are in the process of eventually building a building. There are four elders, two of them are paid and trade off doing most the teaching. CBF has a lot of good qualities for which I am grateful.

We also assemble with the saints in several other more informal settings. We no longer have a home fellowship that meets in our home. But, we are close friends with several other families and we get together in our homes for singing and prayer and reading of the Bible. Another setting is when we meet with a family at a rest home for a fellowship meeting once a month. Then there is a gathering of families who support the missionaries, Steve and Patti Phillips, who are in Sierra Leone. We get together with these families fairly regularly to pray for the Phillips.

Jim