Confronting Christians

What does the Bible teach as to how we are to be the Body of Christ together? How shall a Biblical assembly be led? How should each of us take part? How shall we be disciples of Jesus together?
wackzingo

Confronting Christians

Post by wackzingo »

Jim,

I was thinking this past week as I head a pastor say that talking to anyone about someone else is sin. This came from a pastor who was talking about people who apparently have been talking to others about him but not to him directly. He said they make excuses like he's "unapproachable". He said if you're talking to anyone other than the person involved than you sinning and following scripture. I agree with this when it comes to personal issues. Meaning, if someone lied to you, then you should go talk to that person about it, not other people. I even think if you catch someone in adultery or really any sin, it should be dealt with between the two people and if that doesn't work than take a third person to make sure things are being handled in a biblical way.

But what I'm not so sure about, and would like your opinion and anyone else's on is, what about you posting information about people who are teaching or leading in a way that is unbiblical in our view. For example you posted some stuff on Ron Boehme, do you think that is any different? Do you think you should have talked to him first?

I also posted in my blog a letter I wrote to a pastor of a previous church I attended and never mention his name or the church. In the letter I explained why I left the church, which was the were following after the purpose driven programs. Do you think this was wrong since I didn't specifically talk to him about this other than writing the letter. I had brought up this topic in a general way and was alway given the typical aswers from people following these programs.

Do you think us writing about these people on these issues falls under the guidlines about going and talking those people specifically?

Thanks again.
zach
Last edited by wackzingo on Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimbaum
Site Admin

Post by jimbaum »

Zach,

This is a very important discussion. We must want to properly apply commandments from the Lord such as Matthew 18:15-17 and 1 Timothy 5:19, 20.

But there is a difference between a personal sin issue versus public teaching.

When it comes to a leader or teacher teaching something publicly, we each have the freedom to take part in the discussion. We even have the obligation to take part in the discussion to varying degrees based on how we are gifted and called. At a minimum, we are to be Acts 17:11 Bereans.

There is nothing wrong with disagreeing publicly with what is taught publicly by others.

Jim
wackzingo

Post by wackzingo »

Thanks I couldn't remember those verses. It's not that my primary purpose is in writing to warn people of the churches as much as it's simply a journal of my thoughts on particular subjects. But, I've had some people mention to me that I should not be writing about particular churches and what they teach or the pastor teaches. I have not seen how that is the same sin against me personally. I'm sure you have had many reader who have thought the same thing about you even if they have not said or wrote anything to you about it. That's part of the reason I asked in the forum is because I thought others could benefit from seeing why you write about these groups and people.

Thanks again.
zach
jimbaum
Site Admin

Post by jimbaum »

Professing Christians often are indoctrinated to act more like the proverbial lemmings than like Biblical sheep.

I think it is helpful to examine examples of coercive cults like the Moonies or the Jim Jones' Peoples' Temple; or even Stalinist Russia. In each of these there is a climate of fear that suppresses honest discussion and supports the blind following of leaders who have usurped unbiblical authority.

The climate of fear is promoted by perverting the Biblical concepts of gossip and slander and saying that any criticism of the leader is "touching the Lord's anointed".

People, therefore, are manipulated to disobey God by failing to be Acts 17:11 Bereans and failing to bear one another's burdens.
wackzingo

Post by wackzingo »

It is true that many Christian believe that the Pastor is untouchable to a large extent. I heard on guy telling my when they got on the subject of some comittee at their church that he doesn't believe in church boards. I asked him what he meant by that and he told me,

"I just don't think its a good idea for the board to be making the decisions. The pastor is the one called by God and he is the one who has the vision, he neeeds to make the decision. I've seen too many churches make bad decisions because the board or elders made the decisions when the pastor didn't agree."

His wife was there the whole time agreeing and then said, "The boards need to submitt to the pastor because he is the one who God calls he is the one who recieves the vision from God of where the church is suppose to go, not the board.

Also, I heard the pastor from the Nazarene church said a few weeks ago, "The church isn't for Christians; The church is for non-Christians; That's why I don't ask you to open your bibles because non-Christians don't have bibles" I am going to get a copy of the service so I have proof.

The problem comes from pastors and elders who have high hopes for their churches but aren't willing to spend time on their knees in the Word of God. The result is they start looking at man made programs like Rick Warrens Purpose Driven stuff. These people have good intentions of wanting people to get saved but they are seriously misguided and because they are in leadership positions they drag their congregations down with them.