How shall we be a disciple of Jesus?

What does the Bible teach as to how we are to be the Body of Christ together? How shall a Biblical assembly be led? How should each of us take part? How shall we be disciples of Jesus together?
David

Post by David »

Hmm pretty simple I do believe, it has to be because Im not all that smart ;)

To be a disciple is to be someone who learns as well as teaches the word of God. But I think what it means is summed up in scripture. Here is a few.

Mathew
Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

Philippians
For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

Acts
... and when they had called the apostles, and beaten them, they commanded that they should not speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go. And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name. And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ.

When I read this I am ashamed I am not more like these men.
jimbaum
Site Admin

Post by jimbaum »

Glory to God!

I want to be more like those brothers also, David.

We encourage one another to press on in the faith as fellow disciples of the Lord Jesus.

Jim
David

Post by David »

Hello again,

Just an FYI, I understand some could be lead astrayabout taking up your cross, having them to believe they must bare some heavy unweldly burden to count themselves worthy. But that is not so, for our Lord has said in Mathew 11 "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." How then can anyone say you are required to bare some heavy worldly burden?

In Roman times to be told to take up your cross was just another way of saying you've been sentenced to death and are going to die. In this instance we are being commanded to deny ourselves, to stop living like we're still part of this world and start living for the Lord which my friends may lead you to a place where you might be put to death for teaching in the name of Yeshua.

comments?
Last edited by David on Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimbaum
Site Admin

Post by jimbaum »

I agree, David. Well put!

We enter into God's rest and are called to good works as a fruit of our salvation.

We desire to be like Jesus.
michael

Disciples must believe first

Post by michael »

Hello friends,
I've read a few of the recent comments and would like to make a few comments.
1) Without Christ I cannot do as Jesus did. Jesus' ultimate goal as He traversed this earth was to fulfill the will of His Father. Acting in any given manner without faith is unacceptable and considered "unrighteous" before God regardless of how seemingly good. Even as a believer in Christ, I can still perform good deeds in vain if they are not prompted, directed and empowered by the Holy Spirit. Many of our so-called good works originate in the flesh and do not please God. Most modern day "churches" make this all too obvious.
2) The Bible, contrary to modern belief does not teach us to imitate Christ's actions. To think so would be to view ourselves outside of Christ instead of "in Him". The 12 disciples attempted to imitate Christ and failed miserably. Only when given Christ's authority did they actually make a difference for the kingdom. As Christians we are "one with Christ" having been joined to Him in spirit. As a result we have ceased from our own works and by faith allow not I, but Christ to become the fulfillment of His own commands in and through us. In this manner Jesus retains His glory as we are mere vessels through which His righteous acts are exhibited.
3) There is no such thing as the Apostle Paul or any other Apostle in the Bible. These capitalized names are not found in the Scriptures. This includes Pastor, Priest, Teacher. Why did Jesus say call no one your Teacher- in vain. Titles and religious positions cause numerous problems to include pride, religious status and the praise of men. Paul called himself the bond-servant of the Lord, called as an apostle. (small a). Man capitalizes his own efforts and agendas and religious denominations and man made "churches". All of this is falsehood. If a man is sent of God to preach and teach to the world he is acting as an apostle in that manner provided he is a representative of the Church and not (a) "church". Why would such a person need a title to obey God when he is sent. This is silly. He only needs to obey God.
Finally, the only two qualifications for a disciple are a willingness to follow and a willingness to die to self. Once again this starts with faith for without it we cannot please God. I must believe that I have died with Christ, was buried with Him, rose with Him and am now seated in the heavenlies with Him. All of this was accomplished by Christ alone. As I believe these marvelous truths and rest upon them Adams nature in me shall be kept inactive allowing the Holy Spirit's power to work freely within me. In this way my actions shall bear real fruit for a heavenly kingdom and a heavenly Savior to which I am bound for life.
Until I realized I could do nothing without Him (even as a believer) I kept trying to do what only He can. If I had that ability in the natural I would flock to the cemetery and raise them all myself!
I've read the book In His Steps and I cannot concur with it's contents for this reason. It is a noble effort by a sincere man who unfortunately was trying to do God's work for Him. I hope we all come to realize that we are to perform the same charitable deeds as Jesus- just not in the manner which would leave an ounce of praise or credit to us. A dead man (I have been crucified with Christ) has no rights, no strengths, no desires, no ambitions of his own for he is dead! If I'm still living, it is Adam in me attempting to manipulate the Holy Spirit to my own ends.
There is a vast difference between the gospel that Jesus preached to His own (The Jews, which was according to man) and Paul's gospel that originated in heaven by a revelation of Jesus Christ) They are both good news yet one hinders and one aids our growth.
Paul said, "Model after me as I model after Christ" This was more than actions on his part. In the majority of the books he wrote he explained the need to hear and believe the wonderful truths God has granted to those who believe. It is these truths that free us from the world, satan and ourselves. Once free, all our actions are pleasing and acceptable before God and man for they are His. NOT I, BUT CHRIST
"Therefore consider yourselves dead to sin........(Romans 6:11)
"Set your mind on things above, NOT on the things on the earth. FOR YOU HAVE DIED (positionally with Christ) and your life is hidden WITH CHRIST IN GOD.
Keep seeking and believing. Then follow. In Christ, Michael
jimbaum
Site Admin

Post by jimbaum »

Michael,

Knowing that we must be in Christ to please God is crucial. Apart from abiding in the Vine, we can do nothing.

Once we are in Christ, abiding in the Vine, I do believe there is a sense in which we are to follow Jesus, to obey Him, to imitate Him, to do as He did.
Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men... Phil 2:5-7

For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you. John 13:15
As to your point about the title of Apostle, I can see what you're saying. Perhaps I should say, "Peter, called as an apostle", or "Paul, an apostle". I'll think about it. I'm more convinced that titles such as Pastor are of concern. And certainly that of Teacher or Father are wrong.

Jim