Must we patronize a brothel to witness to prostitutes?

Here is the place where we can discuss with one another how to be in the world but not of the world.
wackzingo

Post by wackzingo »

Good question... I have thought about this a lot lately and I have come to two conclusions.

There are two extremes, those who advocate going to bars, adult clubs, bad movies, bad concerts, etc. all in the name of an opportunity to witness.

The other extreme is those who say it's wrong to use anything mentioned above in any way to witness to the lost. They say stay away from anything and anyone that is sinful.

The first is an extreme that can hurt our witness as Christians and lead us down paths we should never go. The second extreme forgets that Jesus ate with sinners at their house, Jesus talked with sinners where they were at. And most importantly they forget that there was a place that had all the things mentioned above that was filled with every imaginable perversion and yet Christ came to that place, Christ came to a sinful world that He might lay His life down for them.

I would never say let's go to a strip club this weekend and see if we can witness to people. But, I have been to bars many times and had the opportunity to be a witness. I worked for Hallmark for a few years, I travel led around the northwest 4-5 nights a week. We traveled together and stayed in motels, and my boss because she paid for our meals, liked to go to bars after work to have a drink and get food. I went to bars with them many times, and I never had any alcohol and there was no doubt that that along with many other things in my life that was a witness to them. I had no problem going with them to bars, I would not go there specifically for that purpose but under the circumstances it was a great opportunity to witness not to mention the great food. Some of the best food I've ever had were in those bars and it's cheap, lol.
jimbaum
Site Admin

Post by jimbaum »

Good thoughts, Zach.

I wouldn't recommend go into a bar or a brothel, even to witness. But I can't rule it out for another believer in Jesus.

Of course not!

We are called to proclaim Jesus to prostitutes while remaining separated from their immorality.

If they are temple prostitutes, we are called to remain separated from their idolatry.

Jim