calvary chapel letter

Let us discuss the nature of megachurches and denominations including non-denominational denominations.
wackzingo

calvary chapel letter

Post by wackzingo »

Jim,

Thanks for posting the letter about the calvary chapels. I agree that many calvary chapel pastors are nice. I have personally met several and know that there are many who are very good, sincere, bible teachers who have no desire to control the people. I love most of the ministry principles about calvary chapel other than their leadership philosopy. It's sad that this stuff is allowed to happen.

Do you have any information about Chuck Smith's views regarding pastors who abuse their position and become as controlling as the pastor in the letter was?

zach
jimbaum
Site Admin

Post by jimbaum »

Zach,

Calvary Chapel in Costa Mesa keeps a list of CC clergymen that are considered a part of their fold in good standing. I know of four clergymen that have been removed from the list: two for immorality, one for teaching an extreme form of Moral Government theology in which God does not know the future with a certainty, and one because the hierarchy believed this clergyman had become coercive and abusive. Based on the many emails I receive I would think there are many more examples that I am not aware of.

In 1982 there a mass parting of ways between Calvary Chapels led by Chuck Smith Sr., and Vineyard Christian Fellowships led by the late John Wimber. In the 1990s there was another split between CCs and various Calvinist CCs. There is a similar split underway now over Purpose Drive – Seeker Friendly – Contemplative – Emergent movements.

While I agree with the doctrinal stand of the hierarchy in each of the above cases, the fact that there is such a hierarchy is unbiblical and part of the problem. I’m glad there are leaders who are willing to confront and correct an abusive situation, however, such an Episcopal system is really part of the problem.

Doctrinal differences within an assembly should be dealt with according to the New Testament. A coercive or abusive leader should be dealt with within an assembly according to the New Testament.

Jim