Jon Courson

Let us discuss the nature of megachurches and denominations including non-denominational denominations.
wackzingo

Post by wackzingo »

Thanks Jim,

I have always loved listening to Jon's bible teachings because of his commitment to always bring people back to God's Word and Jesus Christ and Him crucified.

As I have thought more about this issue I agree that the fact that Jon's sons have become the teaching pastors is in many ways like a business. I agree that it's wrong to just hand down pastoral leadership simply because of who your father is. The reason I took this a little more personal is that I feel that regardless of how they became teaching pastors the question should be asked are they called by God to be teachers and are they teaching biblically.

I was thinking about the questions you asked and I'll attempt to answer them below.

What are Jon Courson's views of the "Seeker Friendly" movement? The Emergent Church Movement? Contemplative Spirituality?
I have personally heard Jon preach many times against "trying to be seeker sensitive" because he says we need to be "seek Him sensitive". He has always preached that the only reason their church has grown is because they put Jesus first and worry only about teaching the Word and Preaching Jesus Christ and Him crucified, nothing more, nothing less, and nothing else.

What is Jon Courson's view of the Word of God?
I'll be honest and say that I never realized how important God's Word is until I started listening to Jon's teachings. I still wish I had as much passion for God's Word as Jon does.

Should a room in a church building be called a "Sanctuary"?
This is a hard thing. I think it's good to have a place that is set aside for teaching, preaching, and prayer as it's sole purpose. It can help us focus because we realize that it is a place where we can get away from everything in life and come listen, learn and talk to God.

Then there is the problem of making the sanctuary an idol as I believe some people have done with other traditional things, such as music, pastors, singular versions of the bible etc.

Should a disciple of Jesus be taught to depend on a "Pastor" to learn what the Bible says?

I'm not sure about this one. On one hand I know that we should not make the pastor an idol and set them up as untouchable or as you have said a guru. But I also know that God has used men to are called to be pastors and to teach. These men spend far more time in God's Word and prayer than we do and we can learn allot from them which is why God calls men to be pastors. I'm not sure about the answer to this one.
jimbaum
Site Admin

Post by jimbaum »

I appreciate your responses, Zach.

Please consider listening to the following and see if you would answer my questions the same way.

03-26-06 Jon Courson A Word From Jon
Jeremiah 31:33 rm / wma [url]mms://65.117.84.168/Topical/T397.wma[/url]

From the page:

http://www.applegatefellowship.org/rec_main.asp