Jon Courson's "A Word From Jon" teaching

Let us discuss the nature of megachurches and denominations including non-denominational denominations.
Clint Rodgers

Post by Clint Rodgers »

ok fellas. Here is my first comment after a very long time. I must say that it is very good to see you all still here. I too have listened to Jon Courson for some time. I would guess a little over a year. I also listened to the audio that Jim had linked to and I need a little clarification as to what you were aiming at as far as what he said. I am not trying to speak in any ones defense because I will tell you that I am the first to really try to analyze what a preacher or teacher is saying especially when they are trying to teach the Word of God.
I don't always agree with what Jon says but at the same time I have yet to hear him say something that would make me go "whoa no way" (A little Bill and Ted for you) now I can say that I am not to sure about all the things that Calvary Chapel or the Applegate fellowships stand for and do. I am currently attending a Calvary Chapel and I really like everyone there but it is rather Pastor influenced if you will. I really like the pastor there and he seems to be doing his best to follow Christ but at the same time it seems way too oriented around him. I don't know maybe I haven't been there long enough but I can tell you that I have listened to Chuck Smith and now I had a few questions after listening to him at first but it was a totally different thing than when I heard Courson. Maybe it is because I would imagine that Zach, as well as I have heard more of Jon speaking on subjects so that we already know where Jon Courson is coming from but that is merely me throwing something out there. I will admit that the mega churches seem to loose something these days because a lot of what goes on in church is neither biblical technically nor is it good for the spiritual well being of the members of the church
jimbaum
Site Admin

Post by jimbaum »

Hi, Clint

I appreciate your participation in this topic. As you can see I made it a new separate topic.

For others, the page Clint is referring to can be found here: http://procinwarn.com/courson.htm

There are many things I consider problems in this particular teaching of Jon's which I focused on because it seems to be representative of a lot that Jon Courson stands for.

One item of concern: I believe it is wrong to try to separate our Triune God from the Word of God as if they could be responded to in opposition to each other.

Jon uses a device that I have heard elsewhere: "Too many of us don’t understand that very well. Our Trinity, is God, the Father, God the Son, and God, the Holy Bible."

He uses that device to ridicule people who he believes have turned the New Testament into a new law.

As a friend recently stated, faithfulness to the Bible is not legalism. Worshiping the true Trinity cannot be separated from rightly dividing the Word of God.

Please consider how Jon Courson then applies this view of the word to his view of walking in the Spirit.

As always, I'm grateful to be able to discuss important things with the brethren!

Jim
Clint Rodgers

Post by Clint Rodgers »

Thank you for the clarification Jim

And a hearty amen to it too. Subtle is the choice word for this situation, I think. It amazes me how one (and I am talking about myself) can be indoctrinated into a skewered way of thinking by listening to someone who is called a pastor. Now don't get me wrong. I still like Jon and I am thankful for him because I really started to see Jesus in the OT after listening to him but after looking at some scriptures you provided I am rethinking certain aspects that I had no idea I was accustomed to thinking. God places people in our lives at the perfect time to shed some light into our lives and you sir did just that. I had heard from another brother that Jon had a habit of taking you out onto a spiritual tree limb and leaving you hanging and I kinda see it now.
Thanks be to the Lord cause this has caused me to put down the commentary and start reading the real thing for myself.
I mean you have to have that Berean spirit.
If one aspect of a teachers material call you to question then you must examine all that the teacher is saying because maybe there are certain things that you are being introduced to without thinking about it because of trust.
Thanks again for the scripture references

Clint