Why God still calls Israel, Jacob ?

How shall we rightly divide the word of God on any particular topic?
Anonyms

Why God still calls Israel, Jacob ?

Post by Anonyms »

Praise be the name of God,

Hi there,

I would like to ask regarding verses in Gen 28:32 And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed and also in Gen 35:10 And God said unto him, Thy name is Jacob: thy name shall not be called any more Jacob, but Israel shall be thy name: and he called his name Israel. Here, God has given a new name to Jacob that's Israel.

But in Gen 46:2 And God spake unto Israel in the visions of the night, and said, Jacob, Jacob. And he said, Here am I. Here God still calls Jacob as his former name. Further, God kept on approving He is God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob (and not Israel). Abraham's former name (Abram) and Sarah's (Sara) were never used since changed.

Thanks for your feedback. Really appreciate it!
jimbaum
Site Admin

Post by jimbaum »

Good question! I've never thought about this before. So I'm looking into it. If you or anyone else have a view on this, please feel free to post. Jim B.
wackzingo

Post by wackzingo »

It seems to me that there are a few possibly important reasons that Jacob is sometimes referred to as Israel and other times Jacob.

Jacob is a man but he like Abraham was chosen by God to be one from whom a great nation would come, more specifically Gods own people and finally the Savior of the whole world. Abraham and Jacob did nothing special to receive that blessing, they were chosen by God, they simply believed God.

Matthew Henry and John Wesley both say that in chapter 42 God called him by his old name to remind him of his low estate. This makes complete sense to me, especially consider the next few verses where God says, "fear not" and then goes on to explain what He is going to do in the future. It seems as if Jacob may have had doubts and fears, possibly in what God had promised and God is using the old name to remind him that he is only a man. This reminds me of the times when my parents would say, "little man you better stop talking or else" its a loving but stern reminder that I am not equal with my parents, my parents will do what they said and I better believe.

zach
Anonyms

Post by Anonyms »

Yeah, that might be one of the possibility God prefers to call Jacob his old name as his nature being cunning and fearful. Thanks anyway.
wackzingo

Post by wackzingo »

It sounds like you're being sarcastic. If I'm wrong I apologize. The bible is filled with all kids of stories where God allows things to happen to people in order to reveal things to them as well as prove that because he is God he can do whatever he wants because he is God. Read the story of Job, was that God being cunning and fearful? God does many things to remind me that I am only a man.

zach

Post by Guest »

You are absolutely wrong to say I'm sarcastic. If you think I'm sarcastic then why I've to mention thanks to your time and effort in replying me. Anyway to remark people being sarcastic without knowing their real intention is even worse. I intended to post more questions in order to gain more of the knowledge of God but now i think i better stop if my questions only make people think I'm sarcastic and not evaluating Godly wisdom. Last not least, thanks to the site admin for your appreciation. God is humbling everyone not you alone, Zach. Asking question is also a way of humbling oneself for not knowing something. This is definitely not being sarcastic.

Post by Guest »

I think perhaps you've misunderstood my statement as i meant Jacob as cunning and fearful and not God!
jimbaum
Site Admin

Some thoughts from my friend Arne

Post by jimbaum »

Dear Anonymous/Guest,

Thanks for asking this question. It got a few of us looking into the word of God and that's great. You and Zach had a miscommunication, but I hope that you both will forgive each other and keep talking.

Below are some thoughts from my friend Arne. Lord bless all!

Jim B.
God calls him "Jacob" to remind him of Bethel, or "House of God" , the place he was when his son Joseph was yet with him. Now his lost son, Joseph, is about to be restored. The name "Jacob" is used here as a personal address, by the One who knows the end from the beginning. This is a tough question, one I'll keep on the back burner as I wait for fulness.

Oddly enough, I have an old friend I wrote recently. I referred to him by an old nick-name he no longer answers to, and it brought us into closer understanding. Interesting timing, that.
The only thing I'd add is that the name Israel won out in the end (as we see on any map). Both the names have meaning, so the context might indicate a reason for the uses thereof. Indeed, the dual character of the names are found in his descendants, prophetically speaking, as both "supplanter" and "prince". If you have a dictionary of Bible names, you might gain insight on this. I'm not sure of my definition of "Israel", except as hinted at by the context at the name-change. Mining gold with the meanings of names in the Bible is wonderful source of wisdom from God, because there are no accidents in his word.

You're free to quote me, but not as an authority on this question. I'd never thought of this before you asked, and I'll bet some of my old brethren literature would have an even deeper insight. The only problem is that some of my books walked away with my students over the years, and never found their way back.

I'm reminded by this name-changing business of how my Mom used it on my brother and I: she would call us "Wayne". "Cut it out, Wayne", she'd say. To her, the name of our cousin Wayne was the worst thing you could call a person. It signified her displeasure at a reversion in behavior on our part. We could never figure out how to avoid being called "Wayne". It was so obvious to my Mom, though, that no further instruction seemed called for. Odd, that, now that Wayne is a Christian and a chiropractor. Had I really been more like him, I'd have more money to throw around.
wackzingo

Post by wackzingo »

I brought it up not as an accusation but as an inquiry because the way you wrote, it sounded like you were saying God's nature is cunning and fearful which if that was the case then you can see why it would definitely sound sarcastic. I said if I was wrong I apologize. I'm sorry. And please register so we know who we are talking to. We can't tell if you're the same person or several people.

And Jim, is that the same Arnie from church? Thanks again.

Zach
jimbaum
Site Admin

Post by jimbaum »

Yes. That's the same Arne. I very much appreciate that brother. I learn a lot when he teaches. I don't know too many people who know as much of the Bible as he does. He and I don't agree on everything. But it is a privilege to fellowship in the same assembly. Jim B.
Anonyms

Post by Anonyms »

hi Jim,

Thanx a lot 4 ur insight. I'm doing a thorough bible reading, the ever 1st time in my life. Only this year i've taken the initiative to study on God's words. I'm Christian/female from Asia. I really appreciate your seriousness in helping out those after Godly knowledge. Thanx again n God Bless! :)
jimbaum
Site Admin

Post by jimbaum »

Anonyms, You are very kind and it is a great encouragement to hear how the Lord is working in your life. You set an example for others when you devote yourself to learning the Bible.
jimbaum
Site Admin

Two New Topics

Post by jimbaum »

Two New Topics

See a new topic on Unity vs. Separation.

See a new topic on Wittenburg Door & Youth Specialities.

Jim B.