Hebrew Roots & Messianic Congregations

How shall we rightly divide the word of God on any particular topic?
jimbaum
Site Admin

Hebrew Roots & Messianic Congregations

Post by jimbaum »

Over the years I have gone from being interested in and being supportive of the Hebrew Roots movements and Messianic congregations to, recently, realizing that nearly all of it is corrupt and unbiblical.

I've realized that Galatians and Romans and Hebrews was written to give us understanding that protects us from agendas like the "Hebrew Roots" movements.

How shall we explain from scripture the unbiblical nature of Messianic Congregations and Hebrew Roots agendas?
wackzingo

Post by wackzingo »

I was saw a book at the library and skimmed it over but didn't read much, but I think you may find it interesting. It's called, "Messianic Judaism is not Christianity". In a nutshell it the guy is a talks about how Messianic Jews close themselves off from other Christians as if they are different than us. They don't like their people to marry "Gentiles" and the like.

I did a quick search on amazon and found it http://www.amazon.com/Messianic-Judaism ... F8&s=books

There are several copies for around $5-$7
jimbaum
Site Admin

Post by jimbaum »

Thanks, Zach, that book does look good.

I want to make it clear that I recognize that there is a whole spectrum of groups and views that could be called Hebrew Roots or Messianic. And there are some Hebrew Roots groups that other Hebrew Roots groups would call unbiblical or even a cult.

To the degree that an individual or group is closer to Biblical than not, great. And yet I'm questioning even the mildest of Hebrew Roots convictions.

When I was new believer in Jesus 30 years ago I was greatly encouraged by the group Jews for Jesus. There are other complexities about that particular group that I would be concerned about now.

Then when a Jews for Jesus young woman did a Passover presentation in our fellowship it truly was a blessing. Years later a brother who is a Jewish believer did a similar presentation. He was not associated with any group. It was very encouraging to see the symbols and the types that point to Jesus.

And yet, as I read the New Testament, the wall that separated is broken. Not only between us and God because of our Lord Jesus, but between Jew and Gentile, because of our Lord Jesus. We are one in the assembly of the saints.
wackzingo

Post by wackzingo »

I have a lady friend who is almost my moms' age and is not Jewish but attends a Messianic congregation.

She has been very well accepted, but some of the things she's learned since becoming a part of their congregation is concerning. I was talking with her after church (she attends both the Jewish and a local denominational church) and she was telling me that she likes to carve little animals and things, but now she thinks it's wrong because a woman told her that in the old testament it says we shall not make graven images. She told me that this woman told her that nowhere does it teach that the law is gone.

I posed this questions on CARM.ORG Jewish Roots discussion board and they pointed out that there are some Jewish believing groups that focus on the law and others that that don't. They said there was a big difference between how Messianic congregations operate. CARM has a very active discussion board on this topic.

Most are friendly toward "Gentiles" but I think because Jewish life, tradition, belief and everything else that goes along with being Jewish is hard to leave behind and accept that those who were once not apart of "their people and culture" are now one with them.