Water Baptism

How shall we rightly divide the word of God on any particular topic?
jimbaum
Site Admin

Water Baptism

Post by jimbaum »

The Bible teaches, I am convinced, that baptism by immersion is important, but it is not required for salvation.

Some teach that water baptism is not for today.

Others, like the "Church of Christ" teach that baptism is required for salvation.

The Oneness Pentecostal people teach that you have to say "in Jesus' name" only.

How can we teach from the Bible the intent of our Lord for baptism?
Clint Rodgers

Post by Clint Rodgers »

I was raised in the Church of Christ and of course believed that water baptism was the sign of salvation. In the church directory, the date of baptism was listed under each person. I also believe that it is important but not a requirement but it took a long time to unlearn the false doctrine of salvation through works. I learned only recently from listening to a COC preacher on a tape that they believe that water baptism is the application of the blood of Jesus to the saved individual which would explain why they believe what they believe but not excuse it.

I have run into a few of the Pentecostals who believe that life and death hinges on learning Acts chapter 2 and 19.

I have also run into Bapti-costals who think that one can be saved and if they die before baptism will sadly go to hell.

I have been physically baptized twice. Once when I was twelve in the COC and later on when I was about 23 or so because I had never asked the Lord into my life but neither did the trick. It wasn't until about 5 years ago that the Lord truly knew me. I knew Him but He didn't know me. I had come to the end of myself and I ended up in a closet on my knees and that is when I truly repented for all my sins and that is when I knew the presence of Jesus in my life

I believe that it is important because Jesus was baptized in water but if we look at the time line it might help those who can't let it go.

Jesus was baptized with all of Israel

Mat 3:1 In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea,
Mat 3:2 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
Mat 3:3 For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.
Mat 3:4 And the same John had his raiment of camel's hair, and a leathern girdle about his loins; and his meat was locusts and wild honey.
Mat 3:5 Then went out to him Jerusalem, and all Judaea, and all the region round about Jordan,
Mat 3:6 And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.

Mat 3:13 Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.
Mat 3:14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?
Mat 3:15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.
Mat 3:16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
Mat 3:17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

Jesus was baptized for the remission of sins. John knew Jesus. he knew what kind of Person Jesus was already and that is why he said "Wait a minute! You should be baptizing me!"
He came out of the water and God spoke.

Now let's fast forward a little bit

Joh 3:22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized.
Joh 3:23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.
Joh 3:24 For John was not yet cast into prison.
Joh 3:25 Then there arose a question between some of John's disciples and the Jews about purifying.
Joh 3:26 And they came unto John, and said unto him, Rabbi, he that was with thee beyond Jordan, to whom thou barest witness, behold, the same baptizeth, and all men come to him.

Joh 4:1 When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John,
Joh 4:2 (Though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples,)

You can correct me if I am wrong but I do not think it is recorded any where that jesus baptized the disciples.
He didn't have to because they were already baptized with all of jerusalem and the surrounding regions.
Now it does say that He baptized them in other ways.
John 13
Joh 13:10 Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.

and still later on
Joh 20:21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.
Joh 20:22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:

Luk 24:45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
Luk 24:46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:
Luk 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
Luk 24:48 And ye are witnesses of these things.
Luk 24:49 And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.

then of course they were filled with the Spirit for the ministry that He had given them

Now these things happened this way because of the way the events were timed. The Lord is Lord of order and He sets parameters and barriers the He Himself will not break. Thus Because Jesus was not yet resurrected and glorified He did not (notice I didn't say could not) give them the Holy Spirit earlier.
Now when we receive Jesus into our lives, when we repent of our sins and accept the payment the He made for us and there is a true change in our hearts - that is when we receive the Spirit of the Lord - the earnest - the down payment of eternity and that is when God says "This is My beloved son in whom I am well pleased!"
We became a child of God. A joint-heir with Christ in Christ and God sees us through His precious blood.
and you know what they say
"Blood is thicker than water"
jimbaum
Site Admin

Post by jimbaum »

Brother Clint,

Welcome to the discussion board.

I very much appreciate your views on this as a former "Church of Christ" person.

Jim