Bible Translations - KJV

How has God preserved His word? How has the enemy tried to pervert the word of God?
David

Bible Translations - KJV

Post by David »

Gents, first let me apologize for a cut and paste regarding a KJV only approach. It was irresponsible of me especially since I left the next day on vacation with no follow up

Regardless of what translation or interpetation you use is it sufficent for you to answer some basics like: Do you know God? Do you know mans position with or without Christ? Do you know why God sent his only begotten Son to die on the cross for us? Do you how you can be saved? Do you know if you are saved and how do you know? Are we really that far apart?

The more I read topics such as 'KJV only' I think Christains are becoming captious. Topics such as that one are devisive in nature causing rifts between brethren. Something we cannot afford in these last days.

Say I quote Revelation 17:3 using the KJV and you quote the same verse using the NIV. (I use this because I've been reading an opinion of end time prophecy)

KJV: So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness...

NIV: Then the angel carried me away in the Spirit into a desert...

Was John carried away to the wilderness or a desert?

Lets seek the truth together.
wackzingo

Post by wackzingo »

David,

Thanks for input. You are right that these arguments divide. That is my reason for bring up this topic.

I'm not trying to say that the NIV is the only version or even the best version out there. It seems to me when you look at all the versions objectively you see that they all have good points and bad points. I have a problem with the KJV onlyism people who don't just say 'we prefer the KJV because we thinks it's more accurate', but they take it to the extreme and condemn all others as perversions from hell.

The problem with translation is words change meaning and so you make a great mistake if you only have one version forever. Just go back and read English from the 1300's and none of us would understand it. The KJV uses words like Bastard(Not sure if you want to edit that word) which was fine in the 1600-1800 but ask any teen today what it means without mentioning anything else they will tell you its a swear word just like b**ch. Read Hebrews 12:8 and see what I mean. Today's meaning of that word completely distorts the meaning of the verse.

The KJV only people quote that God is not the author of confusion to support their view. But, if they understood how teens and younger people today understand the KJV their quote only hurts their position. I can understand the KJV because I've been reading texts from the 1500-1800's for years. I'm a huge fan of old literature.

Were you bring up the verses for a discussion or as an example?
David

Post by David »

I suppose 'bastard' may distract a certain crowd even my thoughts would drift on that one. At the moment I'm not sure what the NIV has in it's place but 'illegitimate' has the same meaning. The greek word used in Hebrews 12:8 is 'nothos' and translates to either one.

Just an FYI I have always thought the KJV was it. But after reading several commentaries and opinions I think there are a few options available besides the kjv. Just be careful because many really are corrupt and will lead people astray.