How has God preserved His word?

How has God preserved His word? How has the enemy tried to pervert the word of God?
jimbaum
Site Admin

Post by jimbaum »

Our Lord Jesus Christ has used KJV only people to confront me with some very important questions.
  • How has God preserved His word?

How has the enemy tried to pervert God's word?

Can you point to THE BOOK?
By faith, I trust that our omnipotent God has miraculously preserved His word which is essential to our living out our purpose as His disciples and together as His body.

If Satan desires to deceive and destroy, what better way than to pervert the very word of God?

My beloved brother-in-Christ from New Zealand, Tom Lamb, asks the question: Where is THE BOOK? Isaiah 34:16 says to, "Seek ye out of the book of the LORD, and read..."

Where is THE BOOK?

This topic is the place to discuss "How has God preserved His word?"
jimbaum
Site Admin

Post by jimbaum »

In this topic, I would like participants to mostly discuss in their own words how they understand that God has preserved His word.
wackzingo

Post by wackzingo »

In my opinion and my words...(That's asking for a book, lol. I tend to ramble.)

I believe God has preserved His word through thousands of texts, both from Antioch and Alexandria. Proof of that for me is that almost 2000 years after the new testament we have many translations that are 99.9% identical in their message as it relates to the essentials. I fail to see how many popular modern translations pervert the Word. I do see how they provide an different view. The analogy, "is the glass half empty or half full" fits what has happened between the KJV only people. They see it as only half empty and can't possibly accept the fact that there could be more than one interpretation of a given passage. In their eyes, it's the KJV's translation or nothing.

There will always be those who will try to pervert the Gospel, but why would God allow millions to be deceived? The NIV has sold millions and is the preferred bible among many today. The TNIV is an obvious perversion because it's not a matter of seeing something a different way, in this case in their own words they are trying to make it more relevant rather than more understandable. Proof of God preserving His word again shows even in this when you look at the names of the people who have said they will not support the TNIV. The TNIV has only been popular among congregations that can hardly be called Christians. These are those who have gay pastors. As for the majority of Christian churches they don't accept the TNIV.

Finally it is my belief that as stated by a KJV only person in this forum earlier the texts that modern translations rely upon and the ones the KJV rely upon are 99.9% identical, but they pointed out that it only takes 1% to kill. These texts that they say are perverted come from people they say are agnostics, by Origen the Ebionite (one who denies the doctrine of salvation), belived sin was forgiven by communion, denied that Christ was our high preist, and by Hort who considered the teachings of Christ's atonement as heresy. All these horrible people had their hand in the translation of God's Word and yet it remains 99.9% identical to the ones they say come directly from the apostles. To me this is a greater testimony of the faithfulness of God to preserve His Word even through the worst of people like origen and hort. Even those people could not pervert the Word.
David

Post by David »

Proverbs 21:1

The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will.

1 Samuel 2:30

Wherefore the LORD God of Israel saith, I said indeed that thy house, and the house of thy father, should walk before me for ever: but now the LORD saith, Be it far from me; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed.

Romans 13:1-3

1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.

3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:

I believe a love for the things of God had much to do with King James I decision to command a English language bible be translated. I believe the translators loved the Lord, their king and country, I also believe the God of Israel is in control of all things including the placement of these people in our history. The King is a power ordained of God and his heart is in the hand of the Lord.
jimbaum
Site Admin

New topic: King James I

Post by jimbaum »

David, I have created a new topic specifically to discuss King James I, himself.

http://x.procinwarn.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=197

Jim
jimbaum
Site Admin

An Outline of David's views

Post by jimbaum »

Brother David,

Let me outline what I understand you to be saying about how God has preserved his word:

1. Our Lord used men, either Apostles or under the authority of Apostles, to write the words for our New Testament in the original manuscripts in Greek and Aramaic.

2. God enabled believers in Christ to faithfully copy the texts in Greek and Aramaic.

3. God preserved copies of these copied manuscripts through the centuries that together made up what we call the Textus Receptus.

4. King James commissioned various scholars and clergymen to make an English translation of the Textus Receptus.

5. God used these scholars and clergymen and gave them similar authority and infallibility as He had given the Apostles to take manuscripts that were without error and make an English language translation that is without error and includes the exact words in English that God ordained.

6. From that point on, the Textus Receptus manuscripts ceased to be the preserved word of God, and now the King James English translation became the word of God.

David, is this outline what you believe?

I truly appreciate your participation in this discussion.

Jim Baumgaertel
jimbaum
Site Admin

Post by jimbaum »